11 Essential Payroll Resources
If you’re a payroll professional or a business owner, you need to be in the know. While there are a lot of details to keep track of internally, it’s also critical to stay current on industry updates and regulations that impact your business. With the overwhelming amount of information available, it’s tough to pin down what your go-to sources should be. To make your life easier, we’ve curated this list of 11 essential payroll resources. Subscribe, bookmark or sign up to stay on top of the latest and greatest!
- E-News for Payroll Professionals: Subscribe to receive payroll information direct to your inbox. Insights range from general news releases to updated tax procedures, legislative changes, and more.
- Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR): Sign up for one (or more) of the state DOR’s 26 newsletters. Receive emails with critical tax news and information including the Wisconsin Tax Bulletin, withholding tax news and filing deadlines. If you’re located in a different state, refer here to find your state DOR website.
- IRS Newswire: Submit your email address to receive around two to three weekly news releases from the IRS National Media Relations Office. Topics range from tax administration to law changes, filing season updates, statistics and more.
- IRS Guidewire: With this subscription, you receive advance copies of tax guidance such as regulations, revenue procedures, announcements and notices.
- America Payroll Association (APA): The APA’s website is focused on payroll education, publications and training. With a paid membership, you have unlimited access to their payroll compliance news and updates, payroll educational resources, and a network of over 20,000 payroll professionals. You can also sign up for their monthly newsletter. Find information about your local APA chapter here.
- Wisconsin APA Chapters: If you’re a Wisconsinite, check out your local APA chapter website. The Milwaukee, Madison, and Northeast Wisconsin chapters have websites packed with compliance resources, and information about monthly meetings, conferences and upcoming chapter events.
- Bloomberg BNA: Formerly known as “Bureau of National Affairs,” BNA provides legal, tax, HR, payroll and business information for paid members. With a membership, you get instant access to news on a myriad of business-related topics, proprietary business data, and various products and services (different membership options available).
- E-News for Small Business: If you’re a small business owner or are self-employed, you won’t want to miss out on this free subscription. Sign up to receive information on important upcoming tax dates, IRS updates, tax compliance tips and more.
- Tax Reform for Small Business: Bookmark this IRS page. It’s the ultimate one-stop shop for information related to the new Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA). As a business owner, you won’t want to miss important updates that could impact your bottom line!
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM): SHRM produces content geared toward HR professionals. Subscribe to their daily newsletter to stay informed of timely workplace news and trends. You can also take advantage of paid memberships to their national and local chapters, which will give you access to even more personalized HR content, compliance resources, free webcasts and more.
- Payroll Data: Scope out our resources page for loads of free downloads, critical employee and employer forms, state resources and more. And to make sure you don’t miss out on the latest payroll-related news, sign up for our blog and follow us on LinkedIn and Facebook. You won’t regret it!